Could My Dog Benefit From CBD?
The extensive list of uses for CBD keeps growing, and one that has grown in popularity recently is to help pets. You want what’s best for your furry friend, so you may be wondering if your dog could take advantage of this new trend. With a growing body of research supporting the idea that pets with a variety of health concerns can benefit from medical cannabis, there are plenty of pooches who would love to try our CBD capsules and CBD treats for dogs.
The Effects of CBD on Dogs
There is currently no formal research on specifically CBD for dogs. Some studies on the impact of cannabis on dogs, in general, suggests that cannabinoids have a similar effect on canines as humans. Dogs also have endocannabinoid receptors in their nervous systems, which play a role in maintaining the balance of the body. This supports the idea that dogs can benefit from CBD in the same ways humans do.
What Dog Health Issues are Treated by CBD?
Despite a lack of formal data on this topic, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence from pet owners that suggest that CBD can be effective for managing a variety of health conditions. In particular, CBD seems to be effective for treating neuropathic pain, as well as controlling seizures in dogs with epilepsy. This is likely due to the established anti-inflammatory effect of CBD. CBD may also help fight anxiety, stimulate appetite, combat nausea, and may even have some cancer-fighting properties, though more research must be done to establish these benefits for certain. There is currently a study being conducted by the Colorado State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Services into the use of CBD on epileptic dogs, and we can anticipate that more studies of its kind will come down the road.
Side Effects of CBD on Dogs
Given what we know about the effects of CBD on humans, it’s possible for your dog to experience the following symptoms from CBD:
- Dry mouth: CBD may reduce saliva production, so taking CBD may make your dog thirstier.
- Lowered blood pressure: CBD may cause blood pressure to lower temporarily at high doses. This can cause light-headedness.
- Drowsiness: CBD has a calming effect, which in some animals, may lead to drowsiness, particularly with higher doses.
Could My Dog Benefit from CBD?
Ultimately, it’s best to talk to your vet about whether or not your pup could benefit from adding CBD into their diet. However, you might decide to bring it up at their next appointment for a few reasons. If your dog has seizures, CBD may be helpful in reducing their frequency. If your older dog has chronic pain, such as from certain joint disorders like arthritis, CBD may help them reduce inflammation and move around a little easier. In addition, if your canine companion has an anxious nature, CBD may be what they need to relax. Finally, dogs with certain serious health conditions, such as cancer, could better manage their symptoms with the aid of CBD.
Shopping for CBD for Your Dog
If you and your veterinarian have determined that your pooch would benefit from adding CBD into their diet, it’s important to keep some things in mind when you’re shopping for CBD oil for dogs.
- Go organic. Not all CBD products are created equal, so make sure to look for quality and shop organic. At Vapor DOCS, our whole wheat CBD dog treats are organic!
- Know what’s in it. CBD is not currently well-regulated, and that is certainly true of CBD pet products. Make a point to only purchase products that are completely transparent about their ingredients. In particular, you want to know exactly how much CBD is in the product. Some may only have small amounts of CBD, and some contain too much THC (trace amounts are okay), so many sure you know what is in your dog’s CBD before giving it to them.
- Choose what’s best for your dog. Ultimately, you know what your dog will respond best to, and there are pros and cons to both CBD dog treats and CBD oil for dogs. Depending on what dose you want to give them, treats may not cut it. For example, our treats have 2mg of CBD in each, and if you and your vet have agreed on 10mgs a day, you may not want to give your dog that many treats. Alternatively, if your dog is a picky eater and is likely to turn its nose up at anything laced with CBD oil, a treat may be what you need. Make this decision based on what you know about your dog.
At Vapor DOCS, we are proud to offer CBD oil for dogs. Shop our collection of CBD products here today!